Dental & Medical Professions
E-Commerce & Digital Marketing
Emerging Companies & Formation
Government Relations & Political Law
Intellectual Property & Licensing
Mergers & Acquisitions
Nonprofits & Associations
Privacy & Security
Software Development Industry
Shawn M. Lindsay is a skilled business, intellectual property, and political attorney. He is a former member of the Oregon State House of Representatives. Shawn’s experience includes representing clients in the following areas: establishing, acquiring, transferring, and preserving businesses and intellectual property rights; software and commercial licensing; business entity formation and structuring; business transitions and successions; mergers and acquisitions; privacy and security; HIPAA compliance; government relations and political law.
Shawn regularly represents dentists, physicians, and other licensed professionals in buying and selling professional practices and establishing DSOs/MSOs. He represents individuals, political parties, candidates, businesses, political committees, lobbyists, tax-exempt organizations, and trade associations as they seek to effectively engage in political activity.
As member of the Oregon Legislature, Shawn established a reputation as a problem solver. For example, as co-chair of a special redistricting committee, Shawn was instrumental in passing a redistricting plan, something that had not been done in over 60 years in Oregon. As an attorney, clients have called on Shawn’s skills to assist in negotiating and resolving complex matters with both private and governmental entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Shawn worked at two prestigious Portland law firms and served as a law clerk to Judge Sam A. Crow, at the United States District Court for the District of Kansas.
Shawn has lived in Spain and speaks Spanish fluently. Outside the office, Shawn is a skier, cyclist, and political junkie.
Professional Honors and Awards
- Peer Review Rated “AV Preeminent” in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as an “Oregon Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers magazine (2013-2021)
- Named as one of the “Forty under 40” by Portland Business Journal (2012)
- Named an “Up & Coming Lawyer,” Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce (2011)
- Named as an “Oregon Rising Star,” Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2012)
- Acts as outside general counsel for Special Olympics Oregon, Inc. assuring compliance, drafting corporate and commercial transactions, and advising executive management.
- Represents buying and selling dentists, physicians, and other licensed professionals in 5-10 transitions per month.
- Represents dentists and other licensed professionals in response to inquiries by the Office of Civil Rights, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- Acted as lead counsel to national political association in winning unanimous opinion by the Oregon Supreme Court striking down a controversial initiative petition ballot title.
- Represented political associations before Oregon trial, appellate, and supreme courts in successful Anti-SLAPP motion dismissing lawsuit against public participation in political speech.
- Represented political candidates and committees in response to inquiries by Federal Election Commission.
- Represented Brazier Mine Construction, Inc. in its multimillion-dollar asset sell to ESCO Corporation.
- Represented Chinese software development company in its multimillion-dollar acquisition of U.S.-based company.
- Serves as outside general counsel for international software consortia negotiating, drafting, and overseeing enforcement of domestic and cross-border agreements and licenses.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Governor-appointed Member, Oregon Government Ethics Commision
- Director, Plaid Pantries, Inc.
- Former Representative, Oregon State House of Representatives
- Former Director, J. Reuben Clark Law Society – Portland Chapter
- Former Member, Oregon State Bar House of Delegates
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States
- “The Costs of Being a Victim,” Dentists Benefits Insurance Company’s Quarterly Report (Winter 2015)
- “The HIPAA Final Omnibus Rules: 9 Things You Need To Know,” Oregon Dental Association’s Membership Matters (December 2013)
- “Time to Make Security a Business Priority,” Oregon Business magazine (July/August 2013)
- “The Business Voice,” Interviewed by AM 1360 KUIK (March 11, 2013)
- “Legislature Makes Bold Move Toward Free-Market Health Care,” Portland Business Journal (April 6, 2012)
- “Redrawing the Battle Lines,” Oregon Public Broadcasting’s “Think Out Loud” Radio Show (May 23, 2011)
- Interviewed on “Comcast Newsmakers” about various issues under discussion in the Oregon State Legislature (March and September 2011, June 2012)
- “Choosing to Serve: Lawyers Put Public Interest Ahead of Personal Lives to Serve in Legislature,” Oregon State Bar Bulletin, Quoted (April 2011)
- “Rules for Internet marketing, advertising,” Oregon Business magazine (September 2009)
- “Moral and Ethical Leadership,” BYU Management Society – Portland Chapter, Speaker (January 17, 2013)
- “Common Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs: Getting off the Kitchen Table,” Hillsboro Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (September 27, 2012)
- “Legislative Update,” Multnomah Bar Association, Panelist (June 5, 2012)
- 2012 Washington County Economic Summit, Co-host (January 12, 2012)
- “Business and Tax Law Development,” Oregon State Bar 2011 Legislative Highlights Review Session (October 27, 2011)
- “Legislative Update,” Multnomah Bar Association CLE (September 28, 2011)
- “Baccalaureate Address to Class of 2011,” Lewis & Clark Law School (May 27, 2011)
- “Cultivating Business Opportunities and 2011 Business Outlook,” Second Annual Washington Economic Summit (January 26, 2011)
- “Sometimes It’s Easier to Ask for Forgiveness than for Permission,” J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Lewis & Clark student chapter (October 14, 2009)
- “Intellectual Property: Licensing and Recent Developments” and “Entertainment, Media and Marketing Law,” Oregon Law Institute (June 12, 2009)
- Washington (inactive)
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Utah (inactive)
- Washburn University School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Brigham Young University (B.A., 1997)