Dan is a seasoned litigator, serving clients in large and small matters and through all aspects of legal disputes. Dan’s extensive experience guiding matters from inception through all phases of discovery, motions practice, settlement negotiations, and trial provides him with a practical understanding of how to find the right strategy to meet his client’s needs.
Dan has a diversity of practice areas, including construction, product liability, environmental, employment, professional liability, commercial, and consumer protection. Dan has practiced extensively in the field of Information Law, and he teaches Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence at Lewis & Clark Law School as an adjunct professor.
Prior to joining the firm, Dan was a partner at the AmLaw 100 firm of Gordon Rees Scully & Mansukhani LLP, focusing his practice on complex litigation, and he was a partner at Redgrave LLP, the country’s leading firm in Information Law, focusing his practice on electronic discovery and information governance.
Outside the office, Dan is active in his church and an avid Scouter with his local Boy Scout troop, having served as Scoutmaster and merit badge counselor.
- Trial counsel in multi-week and multi-month trials in Oregon and California in construction, product liability, and environmental matters.
- Leader of national discovery counsel team for large telecommunications company.
- Leader of various teams for Fortune 100 companies, addressing discovery strategy and disputes in state and federal courts across the United States, addressing the preservation, search, format of production, privilege, and confidentiality of information.
- Lead counsel in several multi-million-dollar professional liability (property management, engineers), real estate, employment, and construction defect matters, guiding matters through pleadings, discovery, and successful resolution through negotiated settlements.
- Leader of information governance projects, addressing the complex intersection of rules, laws, and best practices guiding the timely destruction of information, enabling clients to better manage large volumes of data across complex environmental ecosystems.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Practice Group Chair (Product Liability)
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Historical Society, Advisory Board
- Defense Research Institute, member
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society, member
- “Assessing Your Data Maps in a Newly Distributed World,” PREX Summit Series, Moderator, July 21, 2020.
- “Rule 30(b)(6) Depositions in Litigation: Deposing or Defending Corporate Witness Depositions,” Thomson Reuters, Panelist, June 11, 2020.
- “Responding to Civil Investigative Demands (DID) and Subpoenas,” Government Investigations & Civil Litigation Institute, Moderator, October 8-10, 2018.
- Speaker and panelist on various eDiscovery topics at PREX 2018 and PREX 2019.
- “Technology Disruption in the Ethical Practice of Law,” Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Panelist, June 16, 2018.
- “E-Discovery 2018: Key Issues and Practical Guidance on E-Discovery for Corporate and Outside Counsel,” Thompson Reuters, Panelist, May 10, 2018.
- “eDiscovery Overview or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love ESI,” Inns of Court, Southern Oregon, Speaker, April 12, 2018.
- “Authentication of Evidence 2.0,” Legalweek West Coast, Panelist, June 12, 2017.
- “Proportionality, Early Preservation, Production and Sanctions Under the New Rules Developing New Techniques Early in the Matter to Avoid Costly Missteps,” Innovation in E-Discovery Conference presented by Sandpiper LLC, Moderator, February 15, 2017.
- “New Rules of E-Discovery: Everything You Need to Know,” Thompson Reuters, Panelist, January 23, 2017.
- “Making the Business Case for Defensible Disposition,” Co-author, Information Law Journal, Summer 2016.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University (J.D. 2005), magna cum laude
- Southern Oregon University (B.A. 2002), magna cum laude