Dental & Medical Professions
E-Commerce & Digital Marketing
Emerging Companies & Formation
Government Relations & Political Law
Intellectual Property & Licensing
Mergers & Acquisitions
Nonprofits & Associations
Privacy & Security
Software Development Industry
Shawn M. Lindsay is a skilled business and intellectual property attorney. He is also a former member of the Oregon State House of Representatives. Shawn’s experience includes representing clients in the following areas: software and commercial licensing; establishing, acquiring, transferring, and preserving intellectual property rights; business entity formation and structuring; business transitions and successions; mergers and acquisitions; privacy and security; and government relations. Shawn is one of the few attorneys in Oregon who has passed the International Association of Privacy Professionals’ (“IAPP”) Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (“CIPP/US”) exam.
As member of the Oregon Legislature, Shawn established a reputation as a problem solver. For example, as co-chair of a special redistricting committee, Shawn was instrumental in passing a redistricting plan, something that had not been done in over 60 years in Oregon. As an attorney, clients have called on Shawn’s skills to assist in negotiating and resolving complex matters with both private and governmental entities.
Prior to joining the firm, Shawn worked at two prestigious Portland law firms and served as a law clerk extern to Judge Sam A. Crow, at the United States District Court for the District of Kansas.
Shawn has lived in Spain and speaks Spanish fluently. Outside the office, Shawn is a skier, cyclist, and political junkie. He enjoys studying history and foreign languages and competing in triathlons.
Professional Honors and Awards
- Peer Review Rated “AV Preeminent” in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named as an “Oregon Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers magazine (2013)
- Named as one of the “Forty under 40” by Portland Business Journal (2012)
- Named an “Up & Coming Lawyer,” Oregon Daily Journal of Commerce (2011)
- Named as an “Oregon Rising Star,” Super Lawyers magazine (2010-2012)
- Acts as outside general counsel for Special Olympics Oregon, Inc. assuring compliance, drafting corporate and commercial transactions, and advising executive management.
- Represented Brazier Mine Construction, Inc. in its multimillion-dollar asset sell to ESCO Corporation.
- Represented Chinese software development company in its multimillion-dollar acquisition of U.S.-based company.
- Serves as outside general counsel for international software consortia negotiating, drafting, and overseeing enforcement of domestic and cross-border agreements and licenses.
Professional and Civic Activities
- Former Representative, Oregon State House of Representatives
- Director and General Counsel to Special Olympics Oregon, Inc.
- Board Member, J. Reuben Clark Law Society – Portland Chapter
- Former Member, Oregon State Bar House of Delegates
- Member, Oregon Entrepreneurs Network
- Member, Technology Association of Oregon
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States
- “The HIPAA Final Omnibus Rules: 9 Things You Need To Know,” Oregon Dental Association’s Membership Matters (December 2013)
- “Time to Make Security a Business Priority,” Oregon Business magazine (July/August 2013)
- “The Business Voice,” Interviewed by AM 1360 KUIK (March 11, 2013)
- “Legislature Makes Bold Move Toward Free-Market Health Care,” Portland Business Journal (April 6, 2012)
- “Redrawing the Battle Lines,” Oregon Public Broadcasting’s “Think Out Loud” Radio Show (May 23, 2011)
- Interviewed on “Comcast Newsmakers” about various issues under discussion in the Oregon State Legislature (March and September 2011, June 2012)
- “Choosing to Serve: Lawyers Put Public Interest Ahead of Personal Lives to Serve in Legislature,” Oregon State Bar Bulletin, Quoted (April 2011)
- “Rules for Internet marketing, advertising,” Oregon Business magazine (September 2009)
- “Moral and Ethical Leadership,” BYU Management Society – Portland Chapter, Speaker (January 17, 2013)
- “Common Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs: Getting off the Kitchen Table,” Hillsboro Hispanic Chamber of Commerce (September 27, 2012)
- “Legislative Update,” Multnomah Bar Association, Panelist (June 5, 2012)
- 2012 Washington County Economic Summit, Co-host (January 12, 2012)
- “Business and Tax Law Development,” Oregon State Bar 2011 Legislative Highlights Review Session (October 27, 2011)
- “Legislative Update,” Multnomah Bar Association CLE (September 28, 2011)
- “Baccalaureate Address to Class of 2011,” Lewis & Clark Law School (May 27, 2011)
- “Cultivating Business Opportunities and 2011 Business Outlook,” Second Annual Washington Economic Summit (January 26, 2011)
- “Sometimes It’s Easier to Ask for Forgiveness than for Permission,” J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Lewis & Clark student chapter (October 14, 2009)
- “Intellectual Property: Licensing and Recent Developments” and “Entertainment, Media and Marketing Law,” Oregon Law Institute (June 12, 2009)
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- Utah (inactive)
- Washburn University School of Law (J.D., 2001)
- Brigham Young University (B.A., 1997)